Aside from worrying about our kids’ health, another primary concern for parents these days is how to be there for them until they’re capable enough to stand on their own two feet. This means we should be healthy and able-bodied until they’re about in their 20s. Easier said than done, considering the number of health issues that could crop up as we age. And one such age-related health issue that we could soon face is sarcopenia.
Sarcopenia is another term for age-related muscle loss. Studies show that adults lose as much as 3% to 5% of lean muscle mass each year once we hit our 30s — which is about the same time as most of us start having kids. At the same time, muscle strength also declines by around 12% to 15% per decade. And the drops are more significant among people who do not eat healthily nor exercise regularly, and even those individuals who lost a lot of weight.
Why is muscle mass important?
Maintaining and even replacing our muscle mass as we age is important because:
- Our muscle mass is important to maintain our overall strength, vitality, balance, and quality of life.
- Loss of muscle mass could make it hard for us to perform our daily tasks and even take care of our kids.
- It also dramatically increases the risk of falls and decreases our ability to recover from injuries and illnesses.
- It could affect our overall bone mass and joint health, increasing our risk for osteoporosis, arthritis, and joint injury.
- Loss of muscle mass could lead to slower metabolism and weight gain, thereby increasing our risk for diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
Ultimately, it might be hard to keep up with our kids and stay healthy as they grow up when we’re dealing with muscle loss. But the good thing is, there are a few simple things we can do to preserve our muscle mass, which includes:
- Eat plenty of quality protein. The amino acids found in protein are considered muscle’s building blocks, so if you want to keep your muscle mass, you should include a lot of quality protein in your diet. Of course, this doesn’t mean that you should eat steaks every chance you get, but rather, you should include a healthy mix of snacks and protein-rich ingredients into your meals. Foods that are rich in protein include:
- Milk and dairy products
- Sign up for that aerobics class. If you’ve been putting off participating in that exercise class, then now is the right time to do so. Granted, aerobic exercise does not have that big of an effect on maintaining muscle mass, but it can help strengthen the way your muscles work on a cellular level. So it would be best to combine it with —
- Do weight-training. If you are really serious about maintaining your muscle mass, then sign up for that weight-training class as well. It doesn’t have to be a high-impact bodybuilding class, but doing a few simple weight exercises each day can help slow down the effects of muscle loss. Including a quick 15 to 20 minutes of weights into your workout routine could have a big effect on your muscle health compared to not having done it at all.
- Add Omega-3 fats to your diet. Omega-3 fats are considered essential fatty acids that can boost heart health and even mood. And recent studies have also shown that omega-3s have a positive effect on muscle health, by improving the way our muscles use protein. In other words, omega-3s can actually help treat sarcopenia and not just prevent it. So better stock up on omega-3 rich foods such as salmon, walnuts, omega-enriched eggs, and flaxseeds.
- Take vitamin D supplements. Low vitamin D levels are linked to less muscle mass strength and an increased risk of falls and disabilities. You can ask your doctor to test your vitamin D levels and take supplements if necessary.
- Drink to your health — a supplemental adult nutrition drink that is, such as Ensure Gold. Ensure Gold has complete and balanced nutrition that contains Triple Protein Blend — a combination of Whey, Soy, and Casein, making it an oral nutrition supplement that is shown to be effective in preventing muscle mass loss. It has a well-balanced proportion of macronutrients — protein, carbohydrates, and fats that are all within the recommended range on the Dietary Reference Intakes for adults. Ensure Gold can also be considered as the best nutritional supplement for parents in the market thanks to the fact that it contains 28 vitamins and minerals including an excellent source of antioxidants: Vitamins C, E, and Selenium that supports normal immune function, prebiotic FOS that promotes the growth of good bacteria and supports gut and immune health, plus the FOS also helps absorb calcium and magnesium that also boosts bone health. At the same time, Ensure is gluten and lactose-free, so its safe for adults who are lactose intolerant.
Busy parents can now easily get their supply of Ensure Gold anytime, anywhere, thanks to Lazada. Just sign up, log in, and cart your nutritional drink via the Lazada site or Lazada app, and your Ensure Gold will be delivered straight to your doorsteps.
*All content in this article should be taken as for informational purposes only and should not be considered as medical advice.
Published with Ensure Gold.