As a busy mom who is always on the go, the last thing you want when you’re running errands is to get a case of the munchies only to find your bag devoid of snacks. Yikes!
Healthy treats you can easily access are vital to sustaining energy levels throughout the day. You know why. As a mom, you are constantly on your feet, thinking of an average of five things at a time, and are usually found with a toddler or two in tow. These, not even counting if you are breastfeeding, are surefire ways to get HANGRY and tired, really fast.
And because you don’t want to be the kind of mom (or wife) who snaps at her family just because her stomach is asking for attention, it is always best to be prepared when HANGER strikes.
Here are a few snack suggestions that are easy to carry around. Bonus: you can share them with your kids, guilt-free!
1. Apple – Apples are tasty, crunchy, and really healthy! As they say, an apple a day keeps the doctor away. They are a nutritional powerhouse, and contain valuable amounts of Vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, dietary fiber, phytonutrients, and minerals such as calcium, potassium, and phosphorus. You can peel one, chop it into bite sized bits and put it into a tupperware, or wash one and stick it into a ziplock…apples are a super healthy and convenient snack for moms and kids alike.
2. Popcorn – Popcorn only takes a few minutes in the microwave to prepare. This movie watching favorite snack is much healthier than most people know. Plain popcorn (without the artificial flavoring and butter) provides whole grains, fiber antioxidants, and has health benefits. It can regulate blood sugar, lower cholesterol levels, prevent cancer, and even inhibit cognitive decline!
3. Nuts – Never underestimate the little guy. Nuts are highly nutritious, and considered to be antioxidant powerhouses! They also have strong anti-inflammatory properties, which is how the body defends itself from injury, bacteria, and other potentially harmful pathogens, are high in fiber, and reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke.
4. Granola Bars – What makes a granola bar healthy? The oats, which offer a heap of health benefits! Oats a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. They also lower cholesterol, and reduce heart risks. If you’re a nursing mom, you will be happy to know that oats can also improve your milk supply!
5. Dried Fruit – A little on the pricey side, but so worth it! Dried fruits are super nutritious because all of the nutrients are concentrated into a one small bite. When at the grocery, look out for apricots, raisins, prunes and figs because they contain high amounts of beta carotene, vitamin E, iron, magnesium, potassium and calcium.
6. String cheese – Kids (and adults) love the texture and taste of string cheese. Plus it also happens to be a whole lot of fun to eat! String cheese contains a lot of calcium, and valuable amounts of vitamin A. Always buy high quality string cheese and not the processed kid, ideally those made with real mozzarella.
7. Hummus – While this may take a little more time to prepare, the health benefits are certainly worth it. The chickpeas provide protein, and essential vitamins and minerals. It also happens to be really tasty, and you can be creative with the ingredients to suit your palate.
Never settle for easy fixes when it comes to what you feed yourself and your children. While it may be tempting to buy what is convenient and cheap, it would be good to remember the risks we are taking for ourselves and for our children when we choose less healthy alternatives as snacking options.
We hope our suggestions above will help you go from HANGRY to HAPPY the next time you find your stomach grumbling on a day out with your kids.