Some of you may be a working mom, a full-time stay-at-home mom, or a work-at-home mom. Regardless of your working status or whatever status society uses to categorize moms, we are all mothers — mothers who have so many tasks on their plates yet still have more in their mental to-do list. Motherhood never stops. When a mother is sick, she still cares for her children, manages the house, and everything in between. But how about yourself, dear momma? Are you taking care of yourself too?
My fellow mothers, we have to take care of ourselves too not only because our children and husbands need us, but primarily because we love ourselves. Recall how you took care of yourself before you became a wife and a mother. Remember, you have to love yourself first so you have enough love to give to your family.
With all the things that need to be checked done on our physical and mental to-do lists, mothers are prone to stress. Stress weakens the immune system and makes you susceptible to diseases. Of course, we do not want to contract any disease as we may pass it on to our little kids, but stress is inevitable. With all the responsibilities of a mother and a homemaker, we are all bound to be stressed, but the good thing is… stress is preventable!
Yes, mothers, stress is preventable! Although it is just there waiting to attack us, we can at least try to fight it off by handling stress better. Here are some tips on how you can reduce or prevent stress:
- Move, move, and move! Yes, we know that you wash the dishes, do the laundry, and you’re moving enough by running after your kids, but moms, you need to have a regular exercise. Having a regular exercise can distract you from worries and lift your mood.
- Get connected. Yes, mom, we know you have a lot to do but please try to spend some time with people other than your kids. Simply talking to someone face-to-face can trigger hormones that can relieve stress.
- Stimulate your senses. Smell the soothing aroma of coffee. Listen to calming classical music on YouTube. Caress your pets. Stimulating your senses is a fast way to relieve stress.
- Eat healthily. In any health, mental, or emotional issue, maintaining a healthy diet is very important. Eating the right food can improve your mood and increase your ability to cope with stress.
- Get enough rest. Impossible as it may seem, please get some rest. Getting enough rest allows to be more calm, centered, and productive.
- Remember mommies, a sound body is important for a sound mind. How can you properly plan the family’s menu for the week or month and prepare the grocery list if you cannot think properly due to stress? How can you help your kids with their homework when you’re mind is too exhausted? We need to take care of ourselves. Remember, a well-rested mom or better yet a stress-free mom is a better mom.